Friday, August 17, 2007

Driving on the Left


I think I spent the first few days in Australia carefully watching how everyone was driving and worrying myself about looking in the correct direction whenever I approached an intersection. There were lots of subtle things that cropped up that I had to get used to, but they really didn’t turn out to be too hard: rotaries go in the opposite direction, slow lane is in the left not the right, etc.

But the one thing that I still can’t break out of the habit of is that the turn signal is on the opposite side of the damn wheel! This means that invariably when I’m about to go and pass the road train (truck pulling 3-4 trailers) that is going 30 km/h under the speed limit, I end up turning on my windshield wipers. Nothing takes the wind out of your sails like the sound of bone dry wipers scraping across a windshield in 90 degree heat. And Mekayla’s chuckling as I fail to signal properly for the 40th time doesn’t really help either.

No comments: